Get Capital One Investing℠ to start the roll over if your plan administrator requires it

If your plan administrator requires that Capital One Investing℠ initiate the rollover process, you’ll need to complete a Rollover Assets form and send it to us, along with a recent statement from your 401(k) plan.

We’ll provide you with the Rollover Assets form and instructions once you select the Start Rollover option below to launch our Rollovers & Transfers tool.

Once you've launched the Rollovers & Transfers tool:

  1. Select 401(k) in the Transferring Account Type dropdown.
  2. Select the Capital One Investing IRA to which you want to roll over your funds in the Capital One Investing Account Number dropdown.
  3. Select the company that holds your 401(k) in the Transferring Firm dropdown.
  4. Select the My plan administrator requires that Capital One Investing initiate the rollover Rollover Type.
  5. Click the Next button.

You will then be presented with the rollover instructions.

Note: Your plan administrator may have additional paperwork for you to complete. If you select this option and haven’t talked to your plan administrator, your rollover may be delayed.