If you would like to sell, you must do so through the Trade section (sells are not permitted in the ShareBuilder® investment plan).
To place a sell order, please follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to Invest > Trade (sign in required)
- If you have more than one account, select the appropriate Account from the drop-down.
- For the Action, select Sell.
- Select the Symbol from the list of available stocks and enter the Number of Shares you want to trade (or
check Sell all).
- Select the Order Type (Market, Limit, Stop-Loss, or Stop-Limit).
- If you selected Limit, Stop-Loss, or Stop-Limit, enter the limit and/or stop price as necessary and select the
- Click Next to review order details.
- Click Place Order if all of the details are correct.
Once you have placed your order, you can check its status by navigating to Trade > Order Status (sign in required). Orders placed during non-market hours will be
entered when the markets next open.
If you would like to withdraw the funds after your sell order has processed, you can submit a request by navigating to
Accounts > Transfer Money > Deposit &
Withdrawal (sign in required); the request will be processed after the trade's settlement date.
- Bank-only holidays such as Columbus Day and Veterans Day are not considered settlement days. To view a list of all
market holidays, see our Holiday Calendar.
- If you are selling less than one full share of stock in total and your request is received during market hours, the
partial share will be sold at the closing price for that market day. If a request is received after the market has closed,
it will be processed at the closing price for the following market day.
- For sell orders where the proceeds are less than the commission, the entire proceeds less $0.01 are taken as the
commission. In other words, even if the stock is worth less than the commission, you will still receive $0.01 in exchange
for your shares.
For full commission details, please see our pricing and