What is a direct rollover?

To transfer or roll over your qualified retirement plan, such as a 401(k), 403(b), or 457(b), follow the instructions below:

  1. Navigate to Accounts > Overview > Forms & Applications (sign in required).
  2. Select your Traditional IRA from the `Switch Account' drop-down menu. Open a Rollover IRA (Traditional IRA) if you don't have one already.
  3. Click Roll over a Retirement Account into an IRA.
  4. Select 401(k), 403(b), or 457(b) from the `From Account' drop-down menu and provide all of the information needed for your rollover request.
  5. Review your rollover information and click Create and Print Form to get your pre-filled form.

What do you do with your pre-filled form?

If rolling over a 401(k):

  1. Contact your former employer or plan administrator to complete a copy of their Distribution/Rollover form.
  2. Make sure you provide them a copy of the pre-filled instruction form you printed so they know how to handle your rollover request.

If rolling over a 403(b) or 457(b):

  1. Add your full Social Security number to the form in the space provided on the form.
  2. Have the form notarized or Medallion Signature Guaranteed when you sign it.
  3. Print a copy of your most recent account statement for the `From Account' with the other brokerage.
  4. Mail or fax the pre-filled form and your account statement using the address or fax number on the form.

Important: Your rollover request will not be processed if you do not provide a recent account statement for the `From Account.' Also, qualified retirement accounts can only be rolled over into a Rollover IRA (Traditional IRA) at Capital One Investing℠.

Note: Some rollovers can go into a Roth IRA. For more details, please contact a Retirement Specialist by calling toll-free 877-464-0292.