Transferring Assets to Capital One Investing℠

How do I transfer assets to my Capital One Investing℠ account?

You can transfer the assets in your non-Capital One Investing℠ account to your Capital One Investing account as long as you meet a few simple criteria. You’ll need your other broker’s account statement to get started. Simply follow the instructions online, print your form, send it in with a copy of your brokerage account statement, and we’ll do the rest!

Start the process here:

  1. Go to Accounts > Overview > Forms & Applications (sign in required)
  2. Next to 'Transfer a non-Capital One Investing account to a Capital One Investing account,' click Start now
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions, click Submit, then click Print Form to get your pre-filled paperwork
  4. After printing, add your full Social Security number in the space provided and sign the form
  5. Finally, mail or fax the pre-filled form with your account statement from the other brokerage

Tip: A copy of your account statement from the other brokerage is very important, and your transfer request can't be completed until we receive it. Of course there is no charge from us when you transfer an account from another brokerage. Once we receive your transfer form and statement, we'll keep you up to date on the progress of your transfer request in your Capital One Investing account (so keep an eye out). Take note: some account transfers can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to complete.

What assets can I transfer to a Capital One Investing℠ account?

Capital One Investing℠ accepts cash, stocks, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), mutual funds, and options from other brokers into your Capital One Investing account. Although we accept most securities, there are some that we don’t hold or allow to be transferred. But don’t worry, we’ll let you know if you enter a security that can’t be transferred and give you some options to keep your transfer on track. To get started on your transfer request, go to Accounts > Overview > Forms & Applications (sign in required). Next to 'Transfer a non-Capital One Investing account to a Capital One Investing account,' click Start now.

Tip: After you create and print a pre-filled transfer form, you'll need to add your full Social Security number and attach a statement from your other broker.

What if the account type and/or account holder names do not match?

Transfers into a Capital One Investing℠ account can occur only between accounts with identical registration (for example – 'Individual to Individual' or 'Roth IRA to Roth IRA,' and with the same account owners). But don’t worry, we’ll help you pick the right account to transfer into, and if you don’t have an eligible account, we’ll let you know and help you open a new account.

There is one exception to the rule – 'Joint to Individual' or 'Individual to Joint' transfers are possible if there is one account holder in common. If transferring from a Joint to an Individual or vice versa you'll need to sign the Letter of Authorization that prints out with your Transfer form.

How long will the account transfer take?

Each account transfer is unique, so it really depends on your individual transfer request. Once we receive your paperwork, transfers can take up to 4-6 weeks to complete.

What is the difference between a notary seal and a Medallion Signature Guarantee?

A notary seal is provided by a notary public, a person who is authorized by the government to verify the signor of a written document. You can usually find such a person either at a financial institution (such as a bank or credit union) or in your local phone directory.

A Medallion Signature Guarantee is a stamp provided by a financial institution to verify that a signature is valid and the financial institution who provides the stamp accepts liability for any forgery. You can obtain a Medallion Signature Guarantee at a commercial bank, credit union, brokerage firm, savings association, or any financial institution that is an approved member.

How much does a transfer into a Capital One Investing℠ account cost?

Nothing on our end, as we do not charge for accounts being transferred in from other brokerage firms.

Tip: The brokerage firm you are transferring from may charge you a fee for transferring out and/or closing your account.

What can I do if I want to transfer a stock that is not available through you?

If you hold a security we don't offer you have two choices to proceed with your transfer in:

  1. You can choose to liquidate the security and transfer the cash to your Capital One Investing℠ account with your other assets

  2. — OR —
  3. You can leave the security at your other broker and request a partial transfer

We'll ask you what you want to do if you enter an ineligible security.